Monday, April 11, 2011

still working on it....

So Saturday was the second day of working on being happy no matter what. I got pancakes at a diner and then went to meet Bonnie for pedicures in Fairfax. That was a work in progress (are you seeing a pattern here, driving takes effort) there was a bit of traffic and my google maps could not quite tell me the fastest way to go so I had to keep turning around and making it re-calculate. I managed to remain not as frustrated as I would have been had I not been trying but still a bit annoyed.

Pedicures were fun though, it was nice catching up with Bonnie just the two of us, which is rare. Then we went to see Lan, who's baby boy was born on Friday. It was so sweet to see Bundy (Chris) tell his son he loves him. How interesting it is being a parent, you know the person for less than a day and already you love them. If it were any other relationship you would think that was weird.

I stayed up late Friday catching up with Jennifer so after visiting with Lan I went home and took a nap until Toula woke me up just in time to go to dinner with Florie and Don.

Sunday was another good day as I played the part of a bum until dinner with Yunki.

Today I didn't have to make an effort to be happy either until the DC Vote rally. As you may or may not know DC residents pay taxes but Congress gets to decide how we spend them and now they want them spent on something we voted for and against (the issues are irrelevant to me) however it's odd that we are bombing another country because they aren't democratic yet DC residents pay more taxes than some states yet we aren't represented in Congress and can't determine where our money goes. We're hypocrites - I once heard that one of our leaders went to China who was mocked by them because of this. In the end though is DC residents fault, today there were 100 people protesting but there are 600,000 of us so I guess most of us are OK with it.

Anyway I went to the rally and the people who protested on the streets willingly allowed themselves to be arrested along with our mayor. When they sent all those who wanted, to jail they then re-opened the streets. I was on the sidewalk with my bike the whole time when the cops were demanding that I move back so that they can open the streets. I was on the sidewalk and said "That's not fair. it's not against the law to stand on the sidewalk" to which the cop answered "It's against the law to disobey a police officer. you have 3 seconds to step back." I said OK and literally moved one foot back one foot for 3 seconds, then he said "OK you can go was that so hard." The entire time I was checking myself for anger, and I found that I wasn't, maybe I was some other kind of emotion - I didn't feel unhappy, I didn't feel frustrated... I think I felt self-righteous, I mean what an abuse of power, if I hadn't moved my foot would he have arrested me for standing on the sidewalk? If he had said jump up and down on one leg and hold your breathe and I didn't do it, could he then arrest me since "it's against the law to disobey a police office?". Whatever the case, it made him feel better to say and do that so at least he's happy. All in all, it's still a work in progress but I think I'm faring pretty well so far.

Oh! the good news is I was able to walk faster up the stair to the acupuncturist today compared to the first time when I thought "ummm I'm going to have to use someone else that doesn't have all these stairs"

AND I biked to the rally and back and didn't have any breathing problems and didn't have to stop to get up my hill. I did start coughing a little once I got home so I guess the lungs aren't totally clear but my hope is 1 more treatment and WALLA! (As you remember, that's the second thing I'm working on, hoping good things for my future self but not being attached/disappointed if they don't come true... )

Tomorrow the doctor will tell me what my treatment future holds as she sees it.

So

No comments:

Post a Comment